The centre of Tintagel is only a two minutes stroll from our front door and is steeped in history and folklore. King Arthur‚Äôs legendary birthplace, Tintagel Castle, is the main drawing point for tourists. The English Heritage site sits perched high on the cliff-tops with Merlin’s Cave running beneath.
In the heart of the village is the oldest Post Office in Britain – a National Trust gem of by-gone days.
In close proximity, and easy walking distances for those who wish to, are Bossiney Cove and Trebarwith Strand. Both are great family friendly bathing and surfing beaches.
Outdoor enthusiasts will find walking and cycling routes crossing the countryside and trailing the sea on coastal paths.
Of significant importance is St Nectan’s Waterfall – a top 10 spiritual site in the UK. St Nectan’s with its spectacular waterfall is only a short 3-mile walk/drive from Tintagel.
Cornwall is also very spiritual and contains many sites with standing stones including The Hurlers, Man An Tol and Trethevy Quoit to name but a few.
In and around the Tintagel:
- Tintagel Castle¬†(Opening times)
- The Old Post Office
- King Arthur’s Great Halls¬†
- Tintagel Pottery
- Tintagel Haven & Merlin’s Cave (accessible during low tide)
- St Materiana Church¬†(Glebe Cliff Tintagel)¬†– circa 11th Century
Within 5 miles/8 km:
- St Nectan’s Glen & Waterfall– Open all Year ** MUST SEE ** Top 10 Spiritual site in UK
- Bossiney Cove – Great beach for surfing (fully accessible at low tide)
- Trebarwith Strand¬†beach (low tide only)
- Rocky Valley¬†Celtic Labyrinth carvings
- Boscastle – With harbour, Witches Museum, shops and restaurants
- Museum of Witchcraft¬†at Boscastle
- Delabole Slate Quarry
- Tredole Trekking & Riding Stables at Trevalga, Boscastle
- Port Isaac – With harbour, shops and restaurants –¬†Famed location of TV series Doc Martin
- Beaches – Widemouth, Perranporth, Polzeath Excellent for surfing, family bathing, etc
- Crackington Haven – Rock pools, bathing and dramatic geology
- Jamaica Inn –¬†Immortalised by Daphne du Maurier’s novel
- Bodmin Steam Railway
- Launceston Steam Railway
- Hidden Valley
- The Camel Trail for Cyclists and walkers
- Harlequinns in Bude for 10 pin bowling and indoor play area¬†– Next door to Harlequinns is a great swimming pool with wave machine & flume
- The Eden Project
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan
- Golf courses around Cornwall¬†www.golfincornwall.co.uk
- Art galleries – Tate, St Ives
- Padstow – Fishing town
- Newquay Zoo
- Lizard Point – Most southerly point (up to 2-hours drive from Tintagel)
- St Micheals Mount at Marazion (up to 2-hours drive from Tintagel)
- Childrens Adventure Parks – Trethorne Leisure Park, Crealy Adventure Park, Killarney Springs, Dairyland
- Launceston Castle
- Truro Cathedral